Friday, September 9, 2011

"Night Owl" pattern and child, now available from EvaPaige Quilt Designs


It seems you can't visit Target, Homegoods, TJMaxx, Justice, or The Triple B (Bed Bath and Beyond) these days without running headlong into owl themed stuff. Probably other stores too, but those are the only ones with which we tightwad moms of preteen girls are allowed to be familiar. What is up with owls being all the rage right now, you ask? Well, I'll tell you. They saw my "Night Owl" pattern in Quilt Pattern Magazine last spring and said "THIS is someone we must emulate! Owls are it, people! Burn the peace signs and bring on the hoot!"




As if I could ever start a trend. This pattern name is truly just a happy accident as far as being in with the cool crowd.




"Night Owl" is a super easy, super cute pattern, if I do say so. I love that because it uses a nice size rectangle as the main blocks, it's quick and easy to put together but so much fun to use to play with lots of different fabrics. I also added a ruffled bias strip to give it just a little more visual and tactile interest - after all, let's face it, it's a pretty simple design and it needs a little OOOMPH, and that ruffle does wonders. I'm thinking of giving it a bonus at the end of the quarter.


The baby size, shown above in "Life's a Hoot" fabrics by Adorn-it fabrics (are you seeing those owls?), is 45" x 54" and therefore perfect for snuggling your infant during those lovely 3am feedings. Gotta be honest, I don't miss those too much. But if I'd had this cute quilt to snuggle in during them, they might have been more enjoyable.


On the baby size sample, I did the ruffled bias strip in scraps from the blocks. I love how it looks against the brown and white polka dot. And aren't those owls adorable? And so trendy?




The lap size sample (my cover girl) is also done in Adorn-it fabrics, this time the "Long Live Vintage" line. I love Adorn-it fabrics and they were so lovely to let me use their lines for these quilts, but I honestly believe this is a quilt that lends itself equally well to a fabric line or scrappy. For the lap size quilt, I used just one fabric for the bias strip rather than making it scrappy. I really like the look of it as well.


As it turns out, the lap size (57" x 66"), is perfect not only for snuggling with a book on a rainy night, but also for snuggling and rocking your 8 year old who is up at 1:00am for the second night in a row freaking out about the MCAS test she will be required to take in March. So many uses, so many sleepless nights to enjoy the quilt.


If you love it, let me know!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...