Thursday, July 17, 2014

Super Sizzling July Hottie - Carrie Hanson has Gotcha Covered



 Name:  Carrie Hanson           
Business Name/Title:  Gotcha Covered Quilting/ Owner

Location:  Online  I can be found at www.gotchacoveredquilting.com on Instagram @gotchacoveredquilting, Otherwise you can find me in San Diego.
# Years in Business:  Coming up on 1 year in November

 
I want to be her swap partner - BH
Calling Judy D! - BH
Current Quilt project: I have a lot I’m working on both personally and professionally, but I’m most excited about a EPP hexie quilt using 1-inch Liberty of London hexes and a Star Mini and pouch that I’m making for the SchnitzelAndBoo Mini Swap.


 



What is the furthest shop you have ever visited from your home? Would you go back?

Answer:  Does a quilt museum count? (Always someone who wants to break the rules. Yes, we will allow it. - BH)
About 6 years ago I made a very last-minute decision to drive across country from North Carolina to CA rather than fly home with my family after vacation (There’s a long story attached to that, don’t judge). So I took off from North Carolina without a map and figured if I headed west I’d eventually get home. On my travels I saw a sign to Paducah, KY, and almost wet my pants. I immediately veered off the westward path and spent the day wandering around the riverfront town’s many shops and the Quilt Museum. It was amazing!! That was in the days me knowing nothing about modern quilting, but when it comes to looking at others’ quilts…modern, traditional, it makes absolutely no difference. A great quilt is a great quilt is a great quilt.

 

If I came to your house unannounced, could you give me a tour of your studio, or would it be such a disaster you would make up an excuse as to why we couldn’t go in?

 

She calls this a mess? I can see the floor just fine. - BH

Answer: It would definitely be a disaster but I’d give you a tour anyway, apologizing all the way.  In fact, I’d most likely be apologizing for the state of affairs in my house as well. 
Very snuggly. - BH

My “studio” is itty bitty but I love it just the same. Because it’s so small my quilting mess kind of extends to other parts of the house as well, particularly the dining room where you can find my ironing board and fabric stash and other odds and ends. And, the business side of GCQ has completely taken over my garage, with bolts upon bolts of fabrics, a cutting station, shipping supplies, etc. It’s a bit of craziness all around but somehow I manage to get stuff done. Please, oh please, do not attempt to clean my mess though. You’ll completely throw me off. I know exactly where to find my stuff, so don’t rearrange the piles. 





 How many completed quilts are there in your home?


Answer:  Believe it or not, I only have 4 completed quilts that I’ve made in my house, although one of them will be moving out soon with the daughter I made it for.  Another quilt is the one I made my son about 12 years ago, which is used for sleep overs.  I made it a goofy size to fit his bunk bed and now it doesn’t work on his big boy bed (he’s 19..hehe).  The final two are on my bed…one is the quilt I made for my grandma years ago and one I made for my great aunt years ago.  They have both long since passed away and the quilts came back to me.  I love having their quilts on my bed.  They were in mind with every stitch I put into the quilts and now their memories are with me always.   Otherwise, every quilt I’ve ever made I’ve given away (or more recently created as a commission).  Nothing pleases me more than making a quilt for someone else, whether a close friend or relative or as a donation quilt.  I just love the feeling of knowing that something I’ve created is bringing someone else joy and comfort.  To me, that’s what quilting is about.
 

What is your favorite meal to feed your family when you are desperately trying to meet a deadline?  
 
Answer:  Here’s the truth…I HATE to cook, so whether meeting a deadline or not,  my “go to” meal is likely the same as my every day meal…chicken, mashed potatoes, steamed broccoli.  Nothing fancy.  Oh, sometimes I substitute in salmon, which is everyone’s favorite.  Perhaps pasta rather than potatoes.  Did I mention that I hate to cook?  Ok…that wasn’t completely honest up there.  Actually Chipotle is my first go-to meal.  I’m ashamed…kind of!  My 23-year-old just told me that when I’m old and have dementia and she is caring for me, she’s going to tell me that I used to be a world class chef in hopes that I’ll finally cook her a good meal. ha! Hey, I’m a great mom in other ways.



Three things on your quilting bucket list
 
1.  To spend time with Tula Pink. I’m in awe of how her brain works and would love to know more about her behind the scenes. She’s definitely my quilty crush. 
 
2.  I would love to have a long-arm frame. I’m blessed as it is to have a HandiQuilter Sweet 16 (Sit-down model) but I would be beyond the moon to have a long arm frame. I just don’t have the space, but someday I plan to figure out how to get the space. I love FMQ…love, love, love it. For now though, I’m doing my FMQ on the HandiQuilter which is way easier than the way I used to FMQ (on my domestic machine).

3.  Going to Quilt Market is on my bucket list and will be coming to fruition this fall. I have my hotel reserved already…. woohooo!!! From a business perspective, going to market is a no brainer. If I want to know what’s what in the industry, Market is where I need to be. From a personal perspective though, there are so many quilters whom I really admire and I can’t wait to meet them and see their work in person. An extension of Market, of course, is the quilt show, which I imagine will be endless in inspiration. 


Thank you, Carrie, for sharing your hottie side with us! 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...