I was reminded today of why I don't do BOMs very often.
As you may recall, if you have been reading regularly and have a short term memory larger than an ant, that yesterday I pulled some old orphan blocks I'd found at my guild meeting a few years ago out of my UFO pile, and made a third to go with them. Today I tried, using my silly little Elna machine, to put them all together in a runner.
Cute, huh? But not without frustration.
First problem: The blocks which I assumed were 12 1/2" square in fact were 11" and 11 1/2" square. Mine, I would like to point out, was perfectly 12 1/2" square.
I'm perfect so rarely that when it happens now and then I feel a shout out to myself is in order. I appreciate any humoring of me you can muster.
Second problem: I don't own a lot of pink fabrics. So what was I going to do for borders/bindings/etc?
I decided to use a fabric I love but that had a bit of yellow and green in it along with the pink to make the blocks kind of tilty, then I cut all the blocks down to 14 1/2". Weird size, but hey, now they are all the same.
Then I made some cute candy striped sashings. Tomorrow I'll get to the top and bottom borders, which will also be the cute candy stripes. It was all I could do to get these suckers on without throwing the Elna across the room.
I also made a trip to Wegmans, visited a friend, joined Pinterest, celebrated our three new goldfish surviving the night, and worked a bit on the directions to KS. Come on now, you know you are impressed with my productivity during vacation week numero uno.
Just a few more days til DaGMT is over. Here's hoping you are on the road to accomplishing all you wanted to and more!
So, how very smart you are! This ia a great way to end up with square blocks and I have learned a new trick from you. Your blocks come out looking like photographs of sweet daisies.
Cute and clever way to size up the blocks!
Post a Comment